Because Redeemer Church is committed to fellowship, we are naturally committed to membership. We believe membership in a local church is a significant aspect of fellowship with other Christians. Luke tells us the early church “continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and prayers” (Acts 2:42). They committed themselves to pursuing the Lord with one other.
All Christians are spiritually joined to the universal church by virtue of their union with Christ. However, the practical outworking of this glorious truth is that Christians should devote themselves to the fellowship of a local church. We unapologetically want every person in need of a church home to become a member of Redeemer Church. Why? Because this would mean more people are professing Christ as Lord, testifying to their faith in Him, and using their spiritual gifts to glorify God.
Membership of Redeemer Church involves making the following four commitments:
– Worship is celebrating our covenant relationship with the God of the Gospel.
– Members believe the Gospel, profess faith in Christ, bear the fruits of repentance, and commit to zealously worship the God of the Gospel.
– A member can say, “I am an enthusiastic worshiper of the God of the Gospel!”
“Oh come, let us worship and bow down; Let us kneel before the LORD our Maker.” – Psalm 95:6
“I appeal to you… brothers,by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.” – Romans 12:1
“And I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, ‘See that you do not do that! I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren who have the testimony of Jesus. Worship God!’” – Revelation 19:10
– Fellowship is partnering with other Christians in Gospel love.
– Members commit to love others through regularly participating in the gatherings of the church and employing their spiritual gifts for the encouragement of the body.
– A member can say, “I commit to love and serve my brothers and sisters in Christ here at Redeemer!”
– “Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!” – Psalm 133:1
– “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.” – John 13:34
– “And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.” – Hebrews 10:24-25
– Discipleship is training in faithful Gospel application.
– Members commit to grow in the grace and knowledge of Christ. They commit to accountability with their brothers and sisters in Christ for their Christian testimony. They commit to give and receive godly counsel and correction. Members also commit to submit to the leaders of Redeemer Church, knowing that the only authority they have is the authority of the Word of God.
– A member can say, “I commit to being trained and training others in faithful Gospel application.”
“Go… and make disciples of all the nations, …teaching them to obey all things that I have commanded you.” – Matthews 28:19-20
“Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” – 2 Peter 3:18
“Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you.” – Hebrews 13:17
– Mission is taking Gospel hope to people in need of it.
– Members commit to the Gospel mission through giving generously to the local church and making personal sacrifices to take the Gospel hope to those in need.
– A member can say, “I commit to give my time, my skills, and my money to fulfill the Gospel mission of Redeemer Church!”
“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.” – Matthew 5:13-16
“Go… and make disciples of all the nations.” – Matthew 28:19-20
“…You shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth” – Acts 1:8
“But as you abound in everything — in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all diligence, and in your love for us — see that you abound in this grace (of giving) also.” – 2 Corinthians 8:7
To become a member of Redeemer Church you must be able to answer the following questions in the affirmative:
1. Worship – Do you commit to worship the God of the Gospel?
2. Fellowship – Do you commit to partner with your fellow believers in Gospel love?
3. Discipleship – Do you commit to being trained and training others in faithful Gospel application?
4. Mission – Do you commit to take the Gospel hope to people in need by giving your time, skills, and money?